Interviews for the position of UW–Madison dean of students and the window to provide feedback have concluded. Thank you for taking the time to engage in the interview process.
About the Dean of Students Position
The dean of students is a senior administrator in student affairs who assists in planning, implementing and assessing strategic initiatives related to student success. The dean is responsible for ensuring that campus units respond to all students’ needs effectively and compassionately, and advocating for their interests in the context of the larger university mission and institutional goals.
As part of an ongoing organizational restructuring of Student Affairs at UW-Madison the Dean of Students portfolio has been updated for this search. At this time the new Dean of Students will oversee the following departments:
- Dean of Students Office
- Center for the First-Year Experience
- Associated Students of Madison
- Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards
For more details on the Dean of Students position please visit the Position Profile. The anticipated start date is summer 2019.
About the Search for a Dean of Students
The search for a new dean of students launched in December 2018. The 20-member search committee charged by Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Lori Reesor was co-chaired by Lauren Papp, professor and associate dean in the School of Human Ecology and Billy Welsh, chair of Associated Students of Madison. The executive search firm Witt/Kieffer of suburban Chicago has assisted in the effort.
Former Dean of Students Lori Berquam left the role in August after more than a decade to begin a fellowship through the American Council on Education. Argyle Wade is serving as interim dean.
In addition to Papp and Welsh, members of the search and screen committee are the following:
- Julie Barnett, student
- Harry Brighouse, professor of philosophy
- Sherri Charleston, assistant vice provost, Division of Diversity, Equity, and Educational Achievement
- Arturo Tito Diaz, organizational development specialist, Multicultural Student Center
- Laura Downer, student
- Gabby Green, student
- Mark Guthier, director, Wisconsin Union
- Nick Hunter, student status examination associate, Office of the Registrar
- Rachel Jeris, senior university legal counsel, Office of Legal Affairs
- Bill Karpus, dean of the Graduate School
- Andrea Lawson, interim director of Mental Health Services, University Health Services
- Ashley Lax, assistant director of competitive sports, Division of Recreational Sports
- Sunita Nandihalli, student
- Jeff Novak, director of University Housing
- Roopa Rawjee, assistant dean, International Student Services
- Tonya Schmidt, assistant dean, Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards
- Chris Verhaeghe, assistant director of orientation initiatives, Center for the First-Year Experience
- Xueli Wang, associate professor, Educational Leadership & Policy Analysis